1. Not being allowed to have pets other than goldfish (which suck).
2. Having to wear shoes all the time for fear of broken glass, other debris, or germs...
3. ...especially in the communal showers...
4. ...which are so gross that I think they deserve an additional spot on this list because people have sex in them and, worse, leave big wads of hair all over the stall walls and in the drain.
5. Textured walls that give you road rash if you accidentally rub against them (known as "wall burn").
6. Not being able to use the kitchen because the people in my building have evidently been raised by wolverines and cannot be bothered to clean up after themselves, so the communal kitchen is always totally disgusting...
7. ...and therefore being stuck with crappy school food and whatever can be prepared in a microwave.
8. Inconsiderate potheads (like the one who lives next to me) who don't towel their doors and allow the stench to seep into the hallways, common areas, and my room. It's gotten so bad that I have to towel MY door to keep it from soaking into everything I own.
9. Never being able to have guests over without having the entire building knowing about it within ten minutes of me running into someone in the hall, elevator, or stairwell.
10. Having to drag my clothes fifty yards to do laundry in another building.
11. Moving at least two times a year, sometimes more depending how much stuff I transfer over Winter Break.
12. Certain male engineering students (*cough* Nature Boy *cough*) who think that showering is optional...
13. ...whose odor you can also distinctly smell in the halls.
14. The fact that noises echo to an unbelievable degree in the stairwell, which is right near my room, so that I get to experience all kinds of great noise pollution...
15. ...like the horribly irritating laugh of the guy who lives one floor down...
16. ...and the thumping and beeping of the dance music that the guy who lives two floors down plays incessantly, to the point where I wonder if he sleeps.
17. ...in addition to the girl on my floor who is constantly having screaming fights with her boyfriend over her cell phone.
18. Living in an 11 x 15 foot room that is supposed to hold all my worldly possessions (and is unusually large, as far as dorm rooms go).
19. Having a teeny, tiny closet that can't even hold all my shoes, much less all my clothes that need to be on hangers.
20. Not being allowed to burn candles (even though I do it anyway), even though the entire dorm smells mildewy during the spring and fall because of all the humidity.
21. The all-too-ready availability of junk food in the vending machines.
22. The fact that we can have EITHER heat OR air conditioning at any given moment, and the changeover between the two happens at about sixty degrees, which means that, if it's 55 on a summer morning, the heat will come on and my room will be a freaking oven by noon when the temperature outside hits eighty.
23. There is no thermostat attached to the heater/air-conditioning unit, which means that you get a blast of iciness or a hot miasma, and nothing in between.
24. It also cuts off randomly.
25. And they only change the filters twice a year, which, again, can make the entire room smell like mildew when it's humid out and moisture collects in the unit.
26. Drunken idiots who vomit in the water fountains. Or in the showers. Or on the bathroom floors.
27. Or, best yet, in their trashcans and they later choose to leave the barf-filled trash bag in the hallway outside of my room after I've already left for Thanksgiving break-- besmirching my otherwise perfect disciplinary record.
28. Asshats who think it's really clever to run around the attic, which is right over my room, at three o'clock in the morning.
Tomorrow, I turn in the final, bound draft of my thesis, after which I am officially done with undergrad.